Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Waiting for Paint to Dry

I've graduated. Woot. Don't get me wrong, it's an extremely exciting thing, and I'm very proud of myself for what I've accomplished... but, graduating meant transition, graduating meant leaving school, away from a press, away from research materials, leaving a studio, and turning in keys. This is indeed a very exciting transition. I'm home for awhile until I move back to Dallas (End of June/July), and until then, it's a mesh of unpacking belonging, tossing out unnecessary things, then organizing and packing things for the move back. I've been trying to do this before I go back to work this week, but I'm very slow at it because I've been trying to relax after a very long, stressful, but exciting and accomplishing semester.

However, within only a few days of getting home, I needed to work. I started to do all this organizing/packing in order to make space to paint. After a week, I finally had somewhat of a space to start new work, but it is so cramped. There is disorganization, but at least I'm used to working on the floor. I am learning to make do with what I have. I have no choice. Just as I have feared, I may in fact be a workaholic. I think maybe only a day after orals I had to paint something, just a lil something, and I did. To go without painting is simply to not live for me. I can only go a few days without it, like water, before I start to get really antsy.



Paint nightmares happen, not in a happy mood, etc. Is this what it means to be a legit painter? An artist? I don't know. I'm only 22. If I use my time wisely, maybe I will learn to answer those questions, and even greater ones. I think the acrylic paint is dry now. I think I should go pick up a brush.

On a final note, Ladytron is great paint/art making music.

No comments:

Post a Comment